2006: The Year I Got My Life Back!

2006 was a fantastic year for me, filled with a great health adventure, which I have called My Serrapeptase Adventure, which continues to this day. 2006 was the year I got my life back! It was the year I learnt about a ‘Miracle Enzyme,’ called Serrapeptase, and it was a year filled with the kindness and support of people from around the world.

On 3rd January 2006, following careful and detailed research, I started to take Serrapeptase. No one expected the fantastic improvement in my health, which began within just two days and continues to amaze me and all those who know me.

January: I first took Serrapeptase on 3rd January 2006, and I was a little sceptical, but not for long! By 5th January, I knew things were changing. That evening I coughed up a large amount of thick, yellow ‘gunge’ throughout several hours. It was distinctly unpleasant but somehow very satisfying.

I was already feeling better by the following morning, but I had no idea how much things would change. Over the next few days, my stomach pain reduced, then disappeared (except when eating). Within a day or two, I was sleeping much better too.

February: By mid-February, my lung capacity had improved immensely, from an average peak-flow of 310 – 350 litres per minute, before Serrapeptase, to an average of 490 – 560 litres per minute.

I also began to be able to eat tiny amounts of food without pain. Although I still coughed a little during and after eating, even this was reducing. My energy levels lifted slowly.

I reduced my prescription medication to almost nothing throughout this time, but I still had most of it available, should I need it.

From mid-February, my lung function was excellent. It was now no lower than 500 litres per minute and usually around 530 litres. It seemed to me that it might well be settling. My heart rate remained healthy, and even the condition of my skin seemed to improve.

I completely stopped all my prescription medication, and I continued to feel stronger and eat and sleep better (under medical supervision).

I also started enjoying fresh fruit and fresh fruit and vegetable juice (an acquired taste) for the first time in many years.

March: By mid-March, things settled down a little after the dramatic developments in my improving health during the first few weeks of My Serrapeptase Adventure. Although the drama was exciting, I enjoyed assuming that I would feel well rather than hope to make it through the day.

My lung function continued to be excellent, with my peak flow being consistently above 530 litres per minute. In addition, my heart rate remained stable, and my energy levels were good.

The only significant new development I noticed was not dramatic or quick. Since having surgery in 1984, I have had red keloid (raised, irregular) type scarring, which just refused to be reduced. However, nearly 22 years later, these scars appeared to fade in colour and slightly smooth out. I had no way of knowing how effective Serrapeptase would eventually be, but I was amazed to see any improvement at all after such a long time.

April: My Serrapeptase Adventure began in January 2006, interest from around the world continued to grow. The first hint of worldwide media coverage came on 22nd February 2006. When Robert Redfern of Naturally Healthy Publications appeared on a radio talk show in the United States, called The Power Hour, he took his regular part in a phone-in.

A caller rang in, asking for information about natural health products, which would be helpful for a child with cerebral palsy. My Serrapeptase Adventure was still in its first stages, but Robert briefly outlined my story so far.

On 11th April, I spoke with Joyce Riley, host of The Power Hour Radio Show. Following our conversation, Joyce invited me to appear on the following days show.

Those of you who have asthma will be used to measuring your peak flow both regularly and often. I continued to do this (three times a day) despite being free of symptoms for several months and free of medication for almost as long. I found it helpful and encouraging to remind myself that the impact of Serrapeptase on my improving health is measurable.

During The Power Hour interview, broadcast on 12th April, I said that my peak flow that day was at 580. The remarkable thing, for me, is that it remained stable ever since.

May: By the start of May, I noticed a welcome but unexpected development in my health. My weight seemed to be dropping. Since I must be weighed sitting down, I was not sure, at that time, exactly how much weight I had lost in terms of the number of pounds, but it cannot be insignificant. My waist measurement dropped by an inch in just three days.

I could not get medical confirmation of what was happening, but these changes were dramatic and certainly unexpected. So far, the advice I have received suggests that this change could have occurred merely because my metabolism has speeded up. If this is the case, I believe that it was because Serrapeptase continued to remove more and more inflammation from my system and that the range of foods I could eat was increasing for the first time in many years.

My energy level was still stable, and, if anything, it was increasing. I hoped to start regular physiotherapy (physical therapy) and get back up on my feet using crutches in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, although an earlier assessment was positive, I could only undertake regular treatment in December due to the British phenomenon of the waiting list.

My heart, lungs, and digestive system continued to work well, and I even began to get used to the idea that they may continue to do so. The level of pain I experienced due to the spasms of cerebral palsy started to reduce some time ago, but the stiffness of my muscles and joints remained. It is, of course, still there and always will be, but my range of movement is more comfortable.

As Joyce reminded me in my Power Hour interview, I have known what it is like to walk, although it had been a long time (a matter of years) since I could do it with any regularity.

I have begun to experiment, standing again, using my crutches, for short times. In the last few days, I have been able to stand for longer and longer periods, sometimes for as long as 10 minutes. I was still a long way from having the confidence to walk yet, but I am sure that this will develop with time.

24th May was a big day for me. For several weeks, I experimented with standing (with crutches) but not had the confidence to walk. Then, after recovering from a stomach bug, I got back on my feet, thinking I would stand for a few minutes, and that would be that. However, after about five minutes, my phone rang, so, without conscious thought, I found I had taken the 20 steps (with crutches) needed to answer it.

This might not seem like much, but for me, it may as well have been miles. For several years, physiotherapists and a multitude of medics had told me that it was too dangerous for my heart and lungs to continue with any form of mobilisation and that even the sort of exercise that many wheelchair users do should be avoided.

The truth is, of course, that before I learnt about Serrapeptase, they were right! The best way to manage cerebral palsy has always been and continues to be carefully monitored exercise. Still, my breathing and heart rate could only be relied upon for their unreliability, something that scares people rather than encouraging them to work out treatment plans.

June: On 13th June, I had the pleasure of being invited to appear on The Power Hour again to update the program’s listeners with my progress. I was also delighted to appear on the program with Robert Redfern.

July: 3rd July 2006 marked six whole months since I first took Serrapeptase. Therefore, I visited my GP (family doctor) for a regular check-up. Despite the fantastic improvements in my health since January, I did not expect the exciting news I was about to receive.

You may remember that I stopped taking my prescription medication in February and had no ill effects from doing so. Although I had not used my prescription medication for several months by this time, my repeat prescriptions were left in place. This meant that if my health deteriorated or my condition changed in any negative way, I could reorder the medications (a limited number of times) without the need for a face-to-face meeting with the doctor. This was intended to give me a safety net if I needed it.

Five months after stopping my prescription medications, it has finally been agreed that I am unlikely ever to need them again and even less likely to want them. Finally, it seems, the medics have accepted that, at best, my health may continue to improve, and, at worst, it can be expected to remain stable.

After careful, detailed checks of my heart function, blood pressure, and lung function, which were all confirmed as normal, my repeat prescriptions, finally, were stopped! The significance of this is hard to exaggerate. Although its content changed many times, I had some form of repeat prescription for as long as I could remember. In simple terms, this meant that the medical profession has accepted that I do not need regular medication of any kind for the first time in many years.

I continue to be grateful for the ongoing support of my GP and her colleagues and for their willingness to support me in taking what must have seemed to them to be something of a risk.

In the summer 2006 edition of Serrapeptase News (Naturally Healthy Publications), Robert Redfern writes:

I have renamed my book, as The ‘Miracle’ Enzyme is Serrapeptase. I did not do this lightly, as I think the word ‘miracle’ is generally misused and too easily thrown around, especially in the nutritional field.

If you have read my book and followed my newsletters, you may realise why I am so enthusiastic about this enzyme. I was finally convinced to not only change the name of the book but to also create a website www.themiracleenzyme.info to go with it when the story of 36-year-old Mike Tawse first surfaced. Mike, a cerebral palsy sufferer since birth, revealed that life was so bad at the end of 2005 that he felt he could not endure another year on 14 drugs that hardly made a difference. I thought I had heard it all with Serrapeptase, but his story impressed me so much, I knew that Serrapeptase was deserving of the name, ‘The Miracle Enzyme’.

Robert Redfern
Serrapeptase News (USA issue) 4th July 2006

On 15th July, after a short break, I reintroduced Curcumin to my daily compliment of natural health products, which I understood, would reinforce the continued positive impact of Serrapeptase. In addition, I hoped that Curcumin would provide another support element for my digestive system, circulation, and joints.

On 24th July, my local pharmacy finally collected all my old, unused medication. So now, it was official. Not only did I not need to use the medication or get any more of it, but I also did not have to keep the old unused stuff either. It was a small step but a tremendous psychological boost.

August: On 29th August, I was informed that I should not even receive a letter telling me I had a physiotherapy appointment before 6th November and that treatment may not be for as long as six weeks after that.

I am glad I knew my health was improving. I do not intend to criticise doctors, nurses, surgeons, therapists, or other health-care professionals. However, it seems that the obsession of successive governments with management theories, targets, and statistics, means that improving health and fitness is not the true focus of The National Health Service.

September: On 11th September, I received a telephone call telling me that I would be notified of my physiotherapy appointment within eight weeks.

I am still unsure whether this was intended to reassure or annoy me by reminding me of the waiting list or if it was the administrator’s way of convincing herself that she was doing something.

Once I knew my health was stable, it was time for me to get fit! For this reason, I asked for physiotherapy, which would enable me to improve my range of movement, strength, and endurance while taking complete account of the limitations imposed by cerebral palsy. However, once it became clear that it would take several months to arrange an appointment, I settled down to wait.

Following a conversation (off-air) with Joyce Riley (The Power Hour), I contacted the fitness coach, Ronnie Natali, for advice. Ronnie designed an exercise programme, which would not replace physiotherapy, but which would complement it.

Throughout many years in which illness and physical pain had dominated my life, food had become something to be dealt with and managed, but I could not enjoy. As a result, I lost much of my confidence, and I think some of my knowledge about planning a balanced diet. Thankfully, Ronnie worked with me to produce a detailed nutrition plan, including daily menus and shopping lists.

On 21st September, I had another consultation with Ronnie. Our conversation was, as always, upbeat, informative, and encouraging. For the first few minutes, I thought it would be typical of the earlier ones. Ronnie would describe exercises and dietary ideas, and I would report my progress so far and get detailed answers to my many questions.

Our conversation began as usual, but Ronnie surprised me, which would prove my progress to me in an exciting way, which even I could not question. I was asked to use my hands-free phone system to undertake some of the exercises contained in my programme while still describing what I was doing and hearing specific instructions.

For many people, this may seem a straightforward thing to do. So, what was so dramatic and exciting? The programme devised for me included a mixture of exercises, some of which could be performed in my wheelchair, and others required me to get out of it and work on the floor.

The exciting thing for me was that I could move from the wheelchair to the floor and back again several times to complete various exercises while still holding a coherent conversation on the telephone without my breathing or heart rate being adversely affected.

The exercises caused my heart and breathing rates to increase, as they are intended to do. Still, both remained stable and well within normal ranges, allowing me plenty of breath control to concentrate on my conversation simultaneously. I also noticed that my recovery rate had improved dramatically so that my heart rate and breathing returned to resting rates very quickly once I had completed the exercises.

I was delighted with the improvements in my general fitness, which steadily developed since the very earliest stages of My Serrapeptase Adventure. The impact of Serrapeptase was clear to me in a matter of just a few days. Many of my friends noticed it, and we have all been thrilled to see it continue. However, the ability to undertake a level of physical exertion, which I had not been used to for years, to talk to someone throughout and recover quickly, is something none of them nor I can have expected.

October: Speaking on The Power Hour in June 2006, after my contribution was completed, Robert Redfern spoke of visiting me, saying that it would be a privilege to help me.

On 26th October, it was, of course, I who was privileged to meet with Robert and his colleague David. It was great to meet them face-to-face for the first time, after months of phone calls, e-mails, and even appearing on the radio together.

We spent most of the time talking about the incredible impact that Serrapeptase continues to have on me.

By this time, my muscles were stronger and more reliable. I could get from sitting to standing without using my hands (Which I had not been able to do since I was a young child), but I still have to hold on once standing. The thing to remember is that this had all happened without physiotherapy, for which I was still waiting. My lung capacity was still stable, and my heart rate was steady.

I was pleased to share all this with Robert and David and get even more tips from them, including more information about Curcumin, which I now take every day.

My introduction to HealthPoint was brief but fascinating. I am looking forward to learning more, and I am convinced I will gain a lot from it, although I have to get someone to help me because my coordination is not good enough.

November: Although I had been taking Curcumin regularly for some time, it was not until the middle of November that I began to ‘see’ an improvement in my health, which could be linked directly to it. Since my general health had remained good, I had been quite happy to continue taking Curcumin, on the understanding that it was supporting my health rather than making a dramatic difference to it.

I noticed a small but significant improvement in my sight. I was able to read more efficiently and in smaller print sizes than I used to. This may seem a minimal gain. I was convinced, however, that it was a change, which showed potential. The reason for my optimism is not the change of the print size I can read, but the fact that it has happened at all. I have always understood that although my eyesight would fluctuate within its usual range, it would not improve beyond its typical best point.

I had, of course, read about the impact that many people have had on their eyesight when taking Curcumin. Still, I did not expect this to apply to me because the problems with my sight have two distinct causes: the underlying brain damage that caused my cerebral palsy. The second might be described as a mechanical one, the fact that the muscles and tendons around my eyes do not function properly, which is also a problem caused by cerebral palsy.

I had no idea yet, which if either of these causes had reacted to Curcumin, I looked forward to having my eyes formally tested and learning as much detail as possible about what may be happening.

On 27th November, I tried an Amsler Grid again (for the first time in months). Marc Amsler developed the Amsler grid to allow patients to test their own central vision for early signs of macular degeneration so it may be treated sooner. This test consists of a grid of vertical and horizontal lines, with a dot in the centre.

I used the Amsler Grid because it gives a constant, against which I can measure my sight and not because of macular degeneration (AMD), which, thankfully, I do not have.

Before taking Curcumin: I could see the grid and dot clearly with my left eye, but with my right, it was so blurred I could not make out the grid as a whole, and I could not make out any of the lines or the small squares.

With Curcumin, The grid and dot are clear with the left ‘good’ eye and easily distinguishable with the right ‘bad’ eye. The right eye is not as good as the left – yet, but to have any improvement is mind-blowing.

December: 4th December 2006 was the day of my first physiotherapy appointment since regaining my health. The day turned out to be disappointing but not surprising. The therapist seemed surprised that, with my medical history, I was fit for and wanting physiotherapy.

His advice was that I should accept the fact that my physical abilities would always be limited. This would mean that I could use exercise to keep my current abilities, but I should not expect to improve them, and I was unrealistic to think I could regain those I lost over the years of illness. It would also be unlikely that I would gain any new skills.

When I showed him some of the exercises Ronnie taught me, he was surprised at what I could do – but he showed no sign of wanting to build on it. Thankfully, My Serrapeptase Adventure meant that I knew he was wrong! I look forward to learning about the true potential of a natural approach to good health and sharing the light of potential with others worldwide. For me, the only sad thing is that there must be so many people who do not reach the light of their potential because they live in the darkness of the expectations of other people.

2006 was a fantastic year for me, and I would like to thank you all for sharing the first year of My Serrapeptase Adventure with me.

I am delighted to remind you that the fantastic improvements in my health, fitness, and zest for life, which started within the first few days of 2006, have continued to develop. Life is still as much of an adventure now as it was then.

I am so grateful to have found such a supportive group of people at Naturally Healthy Publications, Good Health Naturally, and The Power Hour. They know the awesome power of positive thinking and effort.

I would like to thank everyone worldwide who continues to support and inspire my ongoing search for good, improving health by sharing their knowledge and experience.

Last Checked/Updated: August 1, 2021.
Previous Next

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *